Gynaecology refers to the surgical specialty dealing with health of the female reproductive system uterus, vagina and ovaries. Literally, outside medicine, it means "the science of women.
The main conditions with which we are dealing are:
- Cancer and pre-cancerous diseases of the reproductive organs including ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, and vulva
- Incontinence of urine.
- Amenorrhea (absent menstrual periods)
- Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstrual periods) Infertility Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual periods). This is a common indication for hysterectomy. Prolapse of pelvic organs
Common operations that we perform include:
- Dilatation & Curretage(removal of the uterine contents for various reasons, including partial miscarriage and dysfunctional uterine bleeding refractive to medical therapy)
- Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus) Shantiraj Hospital is the only center in Mandsaur,which perform Laparoscopic Hysterectomy
- Oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) Shantiraj Hospital is the only center in Mandsaur,which perform Laparoscopic Oophorectomy
- Tubal ligation:Shantiraj Hospital is the first Video Laparoscopy Tubectomy Centre recognized by M.P Govt.
- Diagnostic laparoscopy - used to diagnose and treat sources of pelvic and abdominal pain; perhaps most famously used to provide definitive diagnosis of endometriosis.
- Exploratory laparotomy - may be used to investigate the level of progression of benign or malignant disease, or to assess and repair damage to the pelvic organs.
- Various surgical treatments for urinary incontinence, including cystoscopy and sub-urethral slings.
- Surgical treatment of pelvic organ prolapse, including correction of cystocele and rectocele.
- Appendectomy - often performed to remove site of painful endometriosis implantation and/or prophylactically (against future acute appendicitis) at the time of hysterectomy or Cesarean section. May also be performed as part of a staging operation for ovarian cancer.
Cervical Excision Procedures (including cryosurgery, LLETZ, LEEP) - removal of the surface of the cervix containing pre-cancerous cells which have been previously identified on Pap smear.